Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2020

{allcanada} Tippett sees bright future for Kraken, happy with Oilers

EDMONTON -- Dave Tippett said it was difficult leaving the Seattle Kraken to coach the Edmonton Oilers but he is happy for the NHL expansion team, which unveiled its nickname and logo Thursday.

Tippett was a senior adviser with Seattle for almost a year before being hired as Edmonton coach on May 28, 2019.

"It was a hard decision, but a decision that I'm grateful I made," Tippett said. "I've enjoyed my time in Edmonton and they're going to have a great franchise in Seattle.

"It was interesting to see where they ended up. I was involved in a lot of those discussions about the branding and with that organization for a long time. I didn't know which way it was going to go and I knew that was one of the names they were looking at. I love the logo, the jersey is a great looking jersey, so I'm happy for the people in Seattle."

Tippett was hired by Seattle in June 2018 after coaching the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes for eight seasons.

"There were a lot of decisions where they [Seattle] needed a hockey opinion and also to start laying the groundwork to building the hockey operations department," Tippett said. "I think it's going to be an incredible franchise, there is a great passion for it. What I didn't realize is how there is a ton of hockey in the community, not just the junior teams, but I think there are over 150 adult hockey teams, men's and women's teams. There is a great passion for hockey there."

Seattle was named as the NHL's 32nd team on Dec. 4, 2018 and will begin play in the 2021-22 season. Ron Francis was named general manager on July 18, 2019, and the NHL Expansion Draft is expected to be held in June 2021. The Kraken have not hired a coach.

"I was involved in trying to figure out who the best general manager, who the best person to run their hockey operation was," Tippett said. "I was involved in that role right until I left."

Tippett was hired by Ken Holland, who was named Oilers general manager on May 7, 2019.

Tippett is in his first season with Edmonton (37-25-9, .585 points percentage), the No. 5 seed in the Western Conference, who will play the No. 12 seed, the Chicago Blackhawks (32-30-8, .514), in the Stanley Cup Qualifiers.

The winner of the best-of-5 series, to begin Aug. 1 in Edmonton, the Western hub city, will advance to the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the loser will have a chance at the No. 1 pick in the 2020 NHL Draft in the Second Phase of the NHL Draft Lottery, to be held Aug. 10.

The Oilers are trying to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2017.

"I enjoy all aspects of the game from playing to coaching, and when the opportunity came to coach the Oilers, I looked at it as team on the rise that has a chance to become a real top team and do something special, and to work with Kenny Holland and the ownership here," Tippett said. "I'm happy where I am, but also happy for Seattle that they're moving along.

"It was a realty unique opportunity, the organization is going to be a great organization. I didn't know [Kraken CEO] Tod Leiweke well, but got to know him a little before I started and they're going to run a great organization there."

Entertainment Plaza - TV, Movies, Sports, Music, Soaps
http://almosthuman99.com

Babe Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/babes/babeofthemonth.html

Hunk Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/hunks/hunkofthemonth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment