Pages

Monday, March 30, 2020

{allcanada} Draisaitl tells fans to be patient, optimistic with Oilers season paused

 

Leon Draisaitl preached patience Monday to fans anxious for a return to play with the NHL season paused because of concerns surrounding the coronavirus.

"Just stay positive," the center said during a video call arranged by the Edmonton Oilers. "Stick with it, just like we are. We all want to play, get back to playing as soon as possible, but right now there's more important things in the world going on, and we have to accept that. Hopefully we can all get back to playing soon and bring this into the [Stanley Cup] Playoffs."

NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Friday that the League has a bigger window than originally thought to finish the regular season and playoffs, and that the NHL has asked teams for building availability into August.

"Obviously we don't know yet what's going to happen," Draisaitl said. "I think there's some talking left to do in all the professional leagues. But I think that goes for everyone playing the game. If we don't get to play the playoffs, obviously it's frustrating.

"But like we have all said, I think the health of people at this time is more important. I think they made the right decision so far (to pause) and hopefully, I'm speaking for everyone, we can return to playing again, but that's not necessarily up to us."

Draisaitl, leading the NHL with 110 points (43 goals, 67 assists) in 71 games, was the only player to have reached 100 points when the League paused the season March 12. The Oilers (37-25-9) were second in the Pacific Division, three points behind the Vegas Golden Knights, putting Edmonton in good position to qualify for the postseason for the first time since 2017 and the second time since 2006.

That is among the things that is keeping Draisaitl motivated as he practices social distancing from his in-season home in Edmonton. He said he will have no trouble staying mentally ready for a return to competition.

"I don't think it's too hard to stay good mentally," he said. "It's not ideal right now, not an ideal situation for any of the players. I think once a decision is made, there's some clarity. And if it is, hopefully, going back to playing, then it'll be very exciting. Everyone will be fired up to play again."

Draisaitl said he is doing his best to work out at home, becoming creative when needed.

"We're obviously a little bit limited, but I have a gym in my house here in Edmonton," Draisaitl said. "So I try to do something different every day, try to stay fit, stay in shape. So [I] go for runs, do stairs, all kinds of different stuff."

His days also include plenty of time with his dog Bowie, a cavapoo who occasionally helps with the training.

"I try to dangle around my dog once in a while with my stick," Draisaitl said. "I have a stick in my basement. Other than that, there's not much opportunity for me to work on my skills or anything like that."

Draisaitl said there has been plenty of time for one of his new hobbies, puzzles, and to watch movies, TV shows like his favorite, "Friends," and some classic Oilers games.

"I've watched a few of them, sitting on the couch," Draisaitl said. "I've watched Game 5 against San Jose a couple of years ago (a 4-3 overtime win in the 2017 Western Conference First Round). It's a little bit of a tease, I have to say. You start to miss it even more. Sometimes it's better watching 'Friends' than hockey."

Entertainment Plaza - TV, Movies, Sports, Music, Soaps
http://almosthuman99.com

Babe Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/babes/babeofthemonth.html

Hunk Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/hunks/hunkofthemonth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment