MONTREAL — Nashville Predators defenceman P.K. Subban admits he's disappointed at not making the Canadian team for the World Cup but says it's out of his control.

The former Montreal Canadiens star told a news conference Wednesday he loves representing his country and that he's had "tremendous success" when given that opportunity.

"I would love to do it again," Subban said. "Obviously, disappointed not being a part of it but there are some things I can control, there are some things I can't, and that's one I can't."

Subban was in Montreal nearly one year after making a $10-million pledge to the Montreal Children's Hospital Foundation.

He said the P.K. Subban Foundation has contributed $1.4 million so far to a fund that has helped more than 9,000 families facing financial hardship because of their child's illness.

Subban insists his focus this season won't be proving to the Canadiens they were wrong to trade him because that would just "waste a lot of energy."

"I just want to be the best player I can be, be the best player for the Nashville Predators," he said.

The Predators acquired Subban on June 29 in exchange for fellow defenceman Shea Weber.