Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Re: [SurroundSound] Re: SACD ripping offer (Australia)

Andrej,

I had to look up ''SBS/LMS" to see what it meant!  I gather SBS is Squeezebox Server, and LMS is Logitech Media Server.  As far as I know, neither of those run under Windows 2000.  In fact the most stable version of SqueezeCenter that I've found for 2000 is version 7.2, which I therefore run.  All versions of SqueezeCenter (before and after) have numerous bugs, and no-one seems very interested in fixing them, so I stick with the one that works most of the time.

Perhaps when I get my new Linux/Wine box, I might be able to move to something later, if anything later works as well (or, heaven forbid, better :-) than SC7.2!  Hopefully soon.

And thanks for your explanations about replay-gain and shuffling.  I totally agree the gain should be 'standardised' at the mastering stage.  With the ready availability of ReplayGain-type software, there's really no excuse for studios not to do this, and save us all the hassle of having to post-process the playback gain for each track.  Of course the common replaygain algorithm is not perfect, but it is considerably better than the seemingly random levels used by different studios/engineers.

Daniel

--
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to surroundsound+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment