Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

[SurroundSound] Re: Oppo 93 and DSD over analog

I am the guy who had the original problem, and like scolumbo said above me - the problem was the HD handshake with the TV.
To check that you are getting pure DSD, since you dont have the on-screen display-
Start an SACD when the TV is off.
On the right side of the front panel you should see some info-
SACD MCH etc (if you dont see- press the remote "i - display" and it will show for a second).
Now open the TV - SACD play stops (due to the handshake).
Press play again - now you will see in the same place where the info was displayed, PCM also is written.
If you turn off the TV now, the PCM will stay- unless you restart again (weird bug).
Regarding cables - I bought the Altona cables in eBay, I thought they were specifically made for SACD but in reality it is just several cables bunched together in a net... still sounds good enough for me.
On the other hand I am one of those that could do with the coat hanger, so not the one to ask :)
 
 
 
 

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:29:02 AM UTC+3, scolumbo wrote:
I guess you saw my post in the other thread about outputting DSD direct to analog using the Oppo's analog outs. Evidently, if the Oppo makes a connection with another HDMI device during the HDMI handshake that is not DSD-capable, it will convert to PCM first. Shutting off those HDMI devices or making another connection with the device other than HDMI, will preserve the DSD to analog.

While I still prefer using my AVR's room correction and bass management for MCH, including SACDs, I like DSD to analog for stereo SACDs. I use my AVR's Pure Direct mode to bypass all digital processing.

I've also begun using headphones more recently, and room correction isn't so important when you remove the room.  ;-) 

On Friday, June 29, 2012 12:31:38 PM UTC-4, Blee...@yahoo.com wrote:
I just saw a post on the internet that was reprinted from our little group.  Somehow I missed this gem as it indicated how to get DSD into a non DSD amp thru the analog ports.  However, when I tried it several times the Oppo would indicate that it was putting out PCM over the analog and not DSD.  Well, I read the comments I found and it seems that if your freakin' TV is on the Oppo will convert to PCM to your amp.  If you turn the TV off, you get DSD as the oppo does the DSD to analog internally hence the receiver acts as just an amp.  TV on, the Oppo reverts to PCM.  I had no idea.  I realize there isn't a night and day difference btw. them.  But DSD does tend to sound much better to my ears.  It's almost like a blanket is there between me and the music that disappears when the TV goes off and the song starts again.  Anyone have an explanation for this?  I'd always outputted DSD over HDMI to my AVR knowing that my AVR states it's getting DSD (though it is lying of course) but makes it PCM somewhere in there apparently.  I felt that doing a PCM conversion inside the oppo resulted in inferior sound.  I of course didn't know that I could get pure DSD from the oppo using analog cables.  Am I the first retard to finally have figured this out after owning it for a year!?!!??!  So far I have only tried this with stereo sources from shm sacds.  Thinking there is no downside to outputting the whole shebang over analog including MC material.  Thoughts?  Aside from pure direct mode are there any other suggestions for making sure nothing is getting mucked up in the signal chain?  As someone who rarely felt a need for analog cables in the past are there any cheapish cables that anyone might recommend--or a good coathanger?  lol...that was a joke.

--
August
Bleed, Inc.
Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To a Leash And Walking It Like a Dog

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

No comments:

Post a Comment