Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Re: [SurroundSound] Oppo 93 and DSD over analog

Yes it detects the tv and will do PCM if it is. What I am hearing is far more sublime than the hdmi. coonect. Wow is all I can say. Total analog sound.

August
Bleed Inc.
Selling art is tying your ego to a leash and walking it like a dog.

Sent from the BleedPod.


On Jun 29, 2012, at 12:14 PM, "Steven Sullivan" <ssully@panix.com> wrote:

>> I just saw a post on the internet that was reprinted from our little
>> group.
>> Somehow I missed this gem as it indicated how to get DSD into a non DSD
>> amp thru the analog ports. However, when I tried it several times the
>> Oppo
>> would indicate that it was putting out PCM over the analog and not DSD.
>> Well, I read the comments I found and it seems that if your freakin' TV
>> is
>> on the Oppo will convert to PCM to your amp. If you turn the TV off, you
>> get DSD as the oppo does the DSD to analog internally hence the receiver
>> acts as just an amp. TV on, the Oppo reverts to PCM. I had no idea. I
>> realize there isn't a night and day difference btw. them. But DSD does
>> tend to sound much better to my ears. It's almost like a blanket is there
>> between me and the music that disappears when the TV goes off and the song
>> starts again. Anyone have an explanation for this? I'd always outputted
>> DSD over HDMI to my AVR knowing that my AVR states it's getting DSD
>> (though
>> it is lying of course) but makes it PCM somewhere in there apparently.
>
> AFAIK in the DSD-output-capable Oppos (i.e, models after the 970HD), as
> long as you set output settings to be 'pure' (that is, no bass management
> etc), and as long as you choose the DSD layer, SACDs are converted from
> DSD directly to analog, for output from the analog (RCA) jacks. I would
> expect the same for HDMI, though for HDMI, your AVR would have to have a
> DSD DAC to decode the decrypted DSD stream.
>
> Never heard of the TV thing...the Oppo senses that there is a TV connected
> to your AVR?
>
>
>
>> I
>> felt that doing a PCM conversion inside the oppo resulted in inferior
>> sound. I of course didn't know that I could get pure DSD from the oppo
>> using analog cables. Am I the first retard to finally have figured this
>> out after owning it for a year!?!!??! So far I have only tried this with
>> stereo sources from shm sacds. Thinking there is no downside to
>> outputting
>> the whole shebang over analog including MC material. Thoughts?
>
> A truly pure DSD-analog chain means no DSP -- no bass managment, no room
> correction, no DPLII, etc. If your AVR is doing any of that after the
> fact to an analog input, it is certainly converting the analog to PCM
> first.
>
> Personally I value the audio-experience-enhancing power of DSP more than
> such 'purity'.
>
>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
> To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

No comments:

Post a Comment