Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Re: [SurroundSound] Oppo 93 and DSD over analog

> I just saw a post on the internet that was reprinted from our little
> group.
> Somehow I missed this gem as it indicated how to get DSD into a non DSD
> amp thru the analog ports. However, when I tried it several times the
> Oppo
> would indicate that it was putting out PCM over the analog and not DSD.
> Well, I read the comments I found and it seems that if your freakin' TV
> is
> on the Oppo will convert to PCM to your amp. If you turn the TV off, you
> get DSD as the oppo does the DSD to analog internally hence the receiver
> acts as just an amp. TV on, the Oppo reverts to PCM. I had no idea. I
> realize there isn't a night and day difference btw. them. But DSD does
> tend to sound much better to my ears. It's almost like a blanket is there
> between me and the music that disappears when the TV goes off and the song
> starts again. Anyone have an explanation for this? I'd always outputted
> DSD over HDMI to my AVR knowing that my AVR states it's getting DSD
> (though
> it is lying of course) but makes it PCM somewhere in there apparently.

AFAIK in the DSD-output-capable Oppos (i.e, models after the 970HD), as
long as you set output settings to be 'pure' (that is, no bass management
etc), and as long as you choose the DSD layer, SACDs are converted from
DSD directly to analog, for output from the analog (RCA) jacks. I would
expect the same for HDMI, though for HDMI, your AVR would have to have a
DSD DAC to decode the decrypted DSD stream.

Never heard of the TV thing...the Oppo senses that there is a TV connected
to your AVR?



> I
> felt that doing a PCM conversion inside the oppo resulted in inferior
> sound. I of course didn't know that I could get pure DSD from the oppo
> using analog cables. Am I the first retard to finally have figured this
> out after owning it for a year!?!!??! So far I have only tried this with
> stereo sources from shm sacds. Thinking there is no downside to
> outputting
> the whole shebang over analog including MC material. Thoughts?

A truly pure DSD-analog chain means no DSP -- no bass managment, no room
correction, no DPLII, etc. If your AVR is doing any of that after the
fact to an analog input, it is certainly converting the analog to PCM
first.

Personally I value the audio-experience-enhancing power of DSP more than
such 'purity'.



--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

No comments:

Post a Comment