Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

{allcanada} DJ Kennington plays balancing act between family, Daytona 500

 
Ebates.ca - Amazon.com - Amazon.ca - Wal-Mart - GameStop - Work From Home

TORONTO — DJ Kennington always comes prepared to drive, whether it's racing at 300 kilometres per hour at the Daytona 500 or clearing snow off Ontario's highways.

Kennington, who in February became the first Canadian to qualify for Daytona in 29 years, will compete in the NASCAR Pinty's Series' Grand Prix of Toronto on the streets around Exhibition Place as part of this weekend's Honda Indy Toronto.

The 39-year-old from St. Thomas, Ont, who balances racing with his work for the Township of Southwold roads department, wound up 36th out of 40 drivers in Daytona after getting caught up in a pileup. But the chance to compete on NASCAR's biggest stage is an experience that still resonates.

"When I got back from Daytona, the bosses, they gave me a plaque that said I was the fastest snowplow driver in Ontario," Kennington said.

Kennington was the first Canadian since Trevor Boys in 1988 to compete in the marquee NASCAR event when he claimed one of two open slots in the race. The qualifying duel is something that Kennington will never forget, and he said he still gets goosebumps when the topic gets brought up.

"Other than my kids being born, it was probably the biggest moment in my life," Kennington said. "I can get choked up right now talking about it. People don't understand what that means to me and what it meant to my family. It's the Daytona 500, it's the crown jewel of stock car racing.

"I don't think I'm better than anybody else as far as driving, anything like that. I just think I'm a very fortunate person to have had that opportunity."

Entertainment Plaza - TV, Movies, Sports, Music, Soaps
http://almosthuman99.com

Babe Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/babes/babeofthemonth.html

Hunk Of The Month - Vote Now!
http://almosthuman99.com/polls/hunks/hunkofthemonth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment