Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

[SurroundSound] MP3s - The Devil's Right Hand?

HARDLY!!
 
Birfir, I agree with you that FLAC and OGG are better-sounding solutions than MP3.  And I make use of them on my Sansa E280 player by using RockBox as my player's OS - works a treat!!  If you haven't tried it, you *must* do so - it'a a real hot-rod of an OS!
 
But the cold, hard facts are that MP3s are much more universally accepted, especially with portable and mobile devices (Now, if we could just get a RockBox port that would work in a car system - YOWZA!!)  And I would argue that as long as you use a top-flight MP3 encoder, I really like dbPowerAmp - very nice piece of software engineering there, AND encode at the highest bit-rate (320k), I think you will find that the resulting music is well beyond adequate for mobile uses.  Let's face it, a car, motorcycle, even walking about the local park introduces a much higher noise floor than what most of us enjoy at home, right?
 
I can also tell you for sure that 320k MP3s it sound a hell of a lot better than what I had to put up with in my 1st vehicles: 8-tracks, cassettes, and then, finally CD players.  But who in their right mind would risk a $19 disc (and 1981 dollars, too!) on the shaky CD transports and error-prone eject mechanisms that were commonplace for at least the 1st 5 years or so?  Not me, bruddah!
 
Really, guys, there is a time and place for everything, and MP3 delivers good-enough quality music for us to thoroughly enjoy while we're on-the-go. And the fact that you can stuff thousands of 'em on a $20 16GB USB stick is just the icing on the cake!!  You could drive all the way across these here Yoo-Knighted States and never hear the same song twice - that is a fantastic use of technology, IMHO.
 
Now, when I get home, OF COURSE I put away the MP3s and go with The Good $tuff (tm).
 
-RW- Going with some "good stuff" right now, heh, heh...
 

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SurroundSound" group.
To post to this group, send email to SurroundSound@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to SurroundSound-unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/SurroundSound

No comments:

Post a Comment