Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

[SurroundSound] New Rapidshare Plans

Guys
We need to discuss this one as it has seriously curtailed OD and perhaps we need to decide whether or not we ultimately move to deposit files or flefactory or whatever.
 
This is what I discussed with OD today on the subject, so it is my take, please correct me where I am wrong:
 
"RS's change is strangely geared away from individuals to large entities. I think if you also read it there is a licence disclaimer version which the file owner then takes the rap. Therefore I think the model is geared towards low volume/bandwidth downloads and not large volume/high bandwidth; which are placed in the realm of the corporate or large volume user. (My view is) It would make your blog unsustainable unless you post things and remove them cyclically.
Oddly it also turns the focus away from the FLAC and back to MP3 because of the lower bandwidth.
 
We will now see how it affects RS financially as I think many folk will not renew and shift to File factory et al.... - they are already claiming they now are the largest provider.
 
A also think that if I were a business provider I would seriously look hard at a company that changes a fundamental service offering without consultation and with very little warning. The two services should have been run in parallel to phase the new service in and that way they could judge the performance of the new product."
 
 
So please comments
 
cheers
Lokks

No comments:

Post a Comment